Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as a Senior Architectural Professional for the opportunity to build a strong and thriving career.
The Senior Architectural Professional position requires an advanced understanding of design and technical aspects of projects and the ability to take responsibility of distinct portions of projects in a leadership role, by organizing own work efforts and those of others with occasional interaction and direction from team leaders while guiding and teaching less experienced staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates and innovates with a strong conceptual design ability and integrates interdisciplinary criteria to effectively move forward the design of distinct portions of large projects or entire projects of a small scale.
- Demonstrates an advanced understanding of building materials, systems, specifications, codes, details and construction techniques. Is able to enrich design concepts through technical strategies and effectively uses appropriate tools to design and document at all project phases.
- Manages time and workload of own work efforts and those of others to meet project task deadlines and commitments, with occasional interaction and direction from team leaders while guiding and teaching less experienced staff.
Desired skills and expertise:
- Exhibits initiative, process innovation, problem solving, and decision quality with a high attention to precision and accuracy at a project level.
- Actively collaborates at a project, consultant team, and client team level by critically and constructively evaluating ideas. Contributes to and actively participates within the studio and office.
- Effectively communicates internally with project teams and externally with consultants and clients through timely and appropriate written, oral, and visual means.
- Inspires and leads others by example, participates in staff mentoring and training, clearly defines team member expectations and responsibilities, empowers others, and delegates where appropriate based on team members’ recognized abilities and potential.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience, professional licensure process is close to completion.
- Completion of a professional degree in Architecture or a related field.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Revit, AutoCAD, Rhino, parametric and rendering software, and other graphic software.
- LEED certification preferred.
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
For more about SOM: www.som.com
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.
How to Apply / Contact
For all applications, please apply at http://www.som.com/about/careers under the SF- Senior Architectural Professional Requisition.