New York, NY
City Department of Parks and Recreation
Senior Architectural Designer
NYC Parks is the steward of more than 30,000 acres of land. The agency is a recognized leader and innovator of public spaces; and a diverse array of structures sit on these public spaces. These structures include recreation centers, sporting facilities, historic houses, pool facilities, nature centers, marinas and comfort stations. Within the division of Citywide Technical Services, the Capital Team works in direct partnership with Parks leadership and other city agencies, to assess, design and reconstruct facilities most in need of improvements. The Team strives for design excellence to support the City’s sustainability goals. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov
• Under general supervision, plan and supervise the development of a design unit for the Citywide Services Capital requirements program.
• Plan and develop the unit’s design standards and systems for NYC Parks’ facilities and equipment and establish systems for the efficient production of architectural work.
• Utilize AutoCAD and other software to prepare architectural schematic designs, contract drawings, construction details, specifications and estimates.
• Supervise a small team of architectural designers and review their work, such as designs, contract drawings and specifications, to ensure quality and adherence to Parks standards.
• Lead meetings with stakeholders to develop scopes and identify project goals.
• Estimate costs of construction and provide construction administration support including submitting approvals.
• Manage project milestones of all projects in design to ensure timely completion of work.
• When directed, manage design consultants to ensure contract compliance, including meeting project budgets and schedules.
• Present projects to other departments, commissions, consultants and community members.
• When directed, monitor progress of construction and troubleshoot design-related issues in the field. Conduct occasional site inspections for quality assurance.
Job ID#: 342173 (Architect)
1. A valid New York State Registration as an Architect. Current New York State Registration as an Architect must be maintained for the duration of employment.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
Job ID#: 342173 (Associate Urban Designer)
1. A baccalaureate degree in architecture from an accredited college or university and two (2) years of full-time experience in planning, design, research, investigations and/or studies related to urban design development programs; or
2. A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” above. However, a baccalaureate degree in architecture is required of all candidates. Graduate work leading to an advanced degree in architecture, urban design or city planning may be substituted for experience on a year-for-year basis.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester Counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
1. Three or more years managing a multidisciplinary team of professionals that produces architectural work.
2. Strong knowledge of NYC Building codes, including ADA requirements.
3. Excellent organizational and communication skills.
4. Ability to work independently and efficiently.
5. Driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $75,000 - $85,000 plus excellent benefits
Apply by: 05/11/18
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.